Or use this form to contact us:
About the IllustrationThe illustration at the top of the page is a detail from an 1876 New York City map showing Castle Garden (the circular building on the left), which was an immigrant receiving station from 1855 until 1890. It's been estimated that more than 8 million immigrants came through Castle Garden. Originally built as a fort for harbor defense, it has also been used as an entertainment center and aquarium, and reopened as the Castle Clinton National Monument in 1975.
Credit: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.